2012 Debate Motions for Debate Workshop & Tournament
Budapest Open 2012, March:
R1: THW not imprison those convicted of non-violent crimes
R2: THW make development aid conditional upon the improvement of women’s rights.
R3: THW lift the ban on Communist symbols in all post-communist EU member states
R4: THW only provide state pension to those mentally or physically unable to work.
SF: THW ban medicine designed to erase human memories
F: THBT violent activities to achieve anti-capitalist aims in Western societies are justified
1. THW make proficiency in a country's official language a requirement for running for office
2. THB that media figures should no comment on Jeremy Lin's race.
3. THW ban companies from owning, staffing, or servicing prisons
4. TH regrets the stigma against speaking critically of recently deceased celebrity figures
5. THW ban non-merit based Greek letter organizations
6. THW build the Keystone XL pipeline
Quarters THW return the Falklands to Argentina
Semis THW abandon austerity.
Finals THBT supporters of a candidate should not criticize the candidate's policies during an election season.
R1: THB India should remove its ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
R2: THW support the building of big casinos to rejuvenate economically deprived areas
R3: THB the Greek Government should reject the latest EU, ECB & IMF bailout agreement
R4: THB the Gay Rights Movement should oppose Gay Pride Parades in Western Liberal Democracies
R5: THBT the states of former Yugoslavia should create a unified football league
Open QF: THBT Vladmir Putin should make a credible public offer to the United States for joint decommissioning of their entire nuclear arsenal
ESL SF: THBT the Media should not show images of police brutality
Open SF: THBT film stars, music stars & other popular entertainers should be prohibited from participating in political campaigns
ESL Final: THW grant automatic asylum to women from countries under sharia law
Open Final: THBT Western European countries should teach an overwhelmingly negative version of their imperial histories
FINALS MOTION: TH regrets the decline of Marxism in liberal Western democracies
(We ran the following infoslide for the final (without which it would probably have been a bad idea to set as a motion):
For the purposes of this debate, "Marxism" refers to a political ideology that:
1. Asserts that political activity is driven by class conflict
2. Argues that the free market is inherently exploitative
3. Advocate the abolition of capitalism and its replacement with an egalitarian economic system
Open Break Semi Finals: THBT Western foreign policy should seek to prevent China's acquisition of Africa's land and natural resources.
ESL Final: THBT national governments should aim to depopulate rather than regenerate areas with few viable economic activities
Quarters Finals: THBT the state should systematically use subconscious manipulation to nudge citizens towards good choices
Round 5: TH welcomes the advent of extreme genetic enhancements for human beings
Round 4 THBT the education system should promote equality of outcomes over equality of opportunities
Round 3: THBT western countries should invest primarily in air power rather than ground troops for future military interventions
Round 2: TH regrets the strong social norms in favour of lifelong monogamy
Round 1: THW grant the unqualified right to assisted suicide to all mentally sound adults.
Round 1: Social Round
- That custody hearings should not take into account the biological origin of the child.
- That we should make pre-nuptial agreements a pre-requisite for all marriages.
- That we should use early childhood education to actively undermine traditional gender roles.
Round 2: Criminal Justice Round
- That we should lower the standard of proof in sexual assault trials to be “on the balance of probability” (rather than “beyond reasonable doubt”).
- That we should repeal the statute of limitations.
- That we should make complete and total rehabilitation the only determinant of prisoner release dates.
Round 3: Rights Round
- That the West should adopt a one-child policy.
- That human rights should be considered culturally relative.
- That we should allow all citizens, including the entirely healthy, to access assisted suicide.
Round 4: Military/Security Round
- That countries should be able to prosecute foreign soldiers who commit crimes whilst serving in their jurisdiction.
- We should allow soldiers to sue the government for negligence.
- The ICC should consider the targeting of religious sites during conflict a crime against humanity.
Round 5: Gay Round
- That Glee is good for the gay rights movement.
- That we would not allow those wrongly accused of being gay to sue for defamation.
- That we should allow the creation of GLBTIQ only schools.
Quarter Finals: Democracy Round
- That true democracy would allow its citizens to vote for authoritarianism.
- That we should abolish term limits in established western democracies.
- Assuming intelligence could be perfectly measured: that we should make the power of your vote proportionate to your intelligence.
Semi Finals: Health Round
- That doctors should be allowed to lie in order to create or augment a placebo-effect for their patients when no cure for their illness is available.
- That we should force treatment upon the mentally ill.
- That we should allow religious organisations to pay women who are considering abortion to carry their child to term.
Grand Final: Development Round
- That dictators should NEVER be able to access development loans.
- That the United Nations should tax the profits of all natural resource sales worldwide.
- That post-war reconstruction contracts should be restricted to companies from countries which actively supported the war effort.
Round 1: SOCIETY
1. THBT we should not give money to beggars
2. THBT the State should impose a strict curfew on minors
3. THW impose traffic fines based on a percentage of the offender’s income
Round 2: FLORA AND THE FAUNA
1. THBT First World Countries Must Accept Environmental Refugees
2. THW recognize animal land rights in development project
3. THBT climate conferences are a waste of time
Round 3: SCIENCE AND TECH
1. THBT it is time to stop space exploration
2. THW forbid the pursuit of self-learning artificial intelligence
3. THBT intellectual property laws are obsolete in the digital age
Round 4: ECONOMICS & LABOUR
1. THW rather support 12 Ramli Burgers stands than one Burger King
2. THW disallow workers in essential sectors from striking
3. THW nationalise all banks
Junior Quarterfinals: The MIDDLE EAST
1. THBT the international community should leave Syria alone
2. THW demand the immediate transfer of power from Egypt’s ruling military
council to a civilian authority
3. THW Enforce a nuclear free Middle East
Senior Quarterfinals: IRAN
1. THBT Obama has been “too soft” on Iran
2. THS the European Union’s embargo on Iranian oil
3. THBT the international community should leave Iran alone
Junior Semifinals: “Point and laugh. Or maybe not.” GENDER & SEXUALITY
1. THW no longer recognize being called a homosexual as a valid ground to
sue for defamation
2. THW recognise a 3rd gender
3. THBT in conservative societies, special schools should be set up for
Senior Semifinals: EVERYDAY POLITICS
1. THS the Obama administration’s move that requires insurance companies to
absorb the costs of contraceptive healthcare
2. THBT the Justice and Development Party, not the army, are the biggest
threat to Turkish democracy
3. THW not allow corporations to make political contributions
Junior Grand Finals: Malaysia
1. TH would limit terms of all Members of Parliament to only two terms in
Senior Grand finals: Malaysia
1. THBT serving civil servants and politicians-in-office should not be
awarded honorific titles
2. THW replace moral classes with religious classes for non-Muslims in
3. THW grant the right to vote only to residing Malaysians
1. THW ban religious institutions from discriminating against same sex couples in adoption proceedings.
2. THBT crimes perpetrated against police officers should not carry heavier sentences than those against ordinary members of th public
3. THBT all and any race based affirmative action policies should be based on wealth instead.
4. THS Romeo and Juliet laws.
5. THW withdraw government funding from humanities research deemed to have insignificant chance of having any social impact.
6. TH supports the use of the word "apartheid" to describe Israel's treatment of Palestinians.
CORNELL IV QUARTERFINALS:
THBT ALCOHOL COMPANIES SHOULD BE LIABLE TO FINANCIALLY COMPENSATE AMERICAN INDIAN COMMUNITIES BLIGHTED BY ALCOHOLISM.
SEMIFINALS: THW arm Syrian rebels.
FINALS: THW directly elect the US vice president
NOVICE NATIONALS QUARTERFINALS:
THBT DEVELOPING COUNTRIES SHOULD PRIORITIZE THE ADVANCED EDUCATION OF THE FEW OVER THE BASIC EDUCATION OF THE MANY
SEMIFINALS: THW ban the advertisement of cosmetic products.
FINALS: THBT civil disobedience is never morally justified in democracies with full suffrage.
Motions used in 5th NUJS Parliamentary Debate (January 20-22, 2012)
Held at West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata
Judge test for internal pool (January 19, 2012)
- THBT it was a bad idea to invite Salman Rushdie to the Jaipur Literature Festival
Judge test for external pool (January 20, 2012)
- THW hold social networking websites liable for offensive content posted by their users
Round 1 – The dismal science (20/1/2012)
- TH is against private sector participation in the management of pension funds
- THBT devaluation of national currencies is a justifiable tool to boost export earnings
- THBT central monetary institutions should be insulated from executive control
Round 2 – The faith factor (20/1/2012)
- THW no longer impose the requirement of celibacy for Catholic Priests
- THBT the state should offer financial assistance to interfaith couples
- THBT there is nothing wrong with conversion through inducement
Round 3 – Sport (20/1/2012)
- THBT violent sports involving animals should be prohibited
- THBT players on national teams should not be contractually prevented from participating in profit-driven professional leagues
- THW establish a special tax on high-earning sportspersons to fund the development of sports
Round 4 – Beyond Boundaries (Foreign Affairs) [21/1/2012}
- THBT the targeted killings of Iranian nuclear scientists is justified
- THBT national governments should not hire foreign lobbying firms to represent their interests
- THBT there is an obligation to repatriate deposed tyrants back to their home countries
Round 5 – Gender and Sexuality (21/1/2012)
- THW endorse the Slutwalk campaign
- TH supports the idea of paternity leave
- THBT women in developing countries should embrace reproductive tourism
Round 6 –Why this Kolaveri Di? (The ‘frustration’ round) [21/1/2012]
- THBT school libraries should not stock the Harry Potter series of books
- THW tolerate nudism in beaches and public pools in India
- THW allow all communities to freely use the n-word
Octa-finals and Novice quarters – Love thy neighbours, debate their motions (22/1/2012)
- THW not arrest fishermen who cross national maritime boundaries
- THW prosecute the perpetrators of the 1971 conflict in Bangladesh
- THBT armies should not be allowed to operate commercial ventures
Quarter-finals and Novice semis – People Power (22/1/2012)
- THBT constitutions should not be amended without direct citizen participation
- THBT corporations should not be allowed to make political contributions
- THBT democracies should give full voting rights to their diaspora
Semi-Finals and Novice final – Blackboard Jungle (22/1/2012)
- THW not include class participation as a component of evaluation for taught courses in colleges
- THBT student feedback should be given weightage in decisions about promotions of faculty members
- THBT professional bodies shou