2012 Debate Motions for Debate Workshop & Tournament
Budapest Open 2012, March:
R1: THW not imprison those convicted of non-violent crimes
R2: THW make development aid conditional upon the improvement of women’s rights.
R3: THW lift the ban on Communist symbols in all post-communist EU member states
R4: THW only provide state pension to those mentally or physically unable to work.
SF: THW ban medicine designed to erase human memories
F: THBT violent activities to achieve anti-capitalist aims in Western societies are justified
Northeast Universities Debating Championship 2012
1. THW make proficiency in a country's official language a requirement for running for office
2. THB that media figures should no comment on Jeremy Lin's race.
3. THW ban companies from owning, staffing, or servicing prisons
4. TH regrets the stigma against speaking critically of recently deceased celebrity figures
5. THW ban non-merit based Greek letter organizations
6. THW build the Keystone XL pipeline
Quarters THW return the Falklands to Argentina
Semis THW abandon austerity.
Finals THBT supporters of a candidate should not criticize the candidate's policies during an election season.
Manchester IV 2012
R1: THB India should remove its ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
R2: THW support the building of big casinos to rejuvenate economically deprived areas
R3: THB the Greek Government should reject the latest EU, ECB & IMF bailout agreement
R4: THB the Gay Rights Movement should oppose Gay Pride Parades in Western Liberal Democracies
R5: THBT the states of former Yugoslavia should create a unified football league
Open QF: THBT Vladmir Putin should make a credible public offer to the United States for joint decommissioning of their entire nuclear arsenal
ESL SF: THBT